In a nationwide effort to “flatten the curve” of the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses around the country have been forced to either shut down operations completely or switch to a distributed workforce model. There are certain major challenges to overcome for those companies that have been able to make the switch to a completely remote workforce. Managers face complicated logistical challenges in their ongoing effort to communicate with employees and effectively delegate tasks. And employees working from home have to overcome similar communication challenges as well as the day-to-day struggle of staying disciplined and focused while working from home.
Working from home is not always easy, and it requires careful planning, organization, and effort. With that in mind, this article will outline five highly effective tips for achieving success while working from home.
Keys to Success While Working from Home
When you’re working in an office, it’s typically easy to stay on task because you’re interacting with colleagues and managers more or less all of the time. When you’re working from home, on the other hand, it’s much easier to fall into traps of procrastination, laziness, and disorganization.
With the proper strategy, however, anyone can maintain a high degree of productivity while working from home. And the best strategies, as we all know, are composed of strong daily habits. Considering that, here are five things to do every day while working from home to optimize your focus, mood, and output:
- Set boundaries with the people that you live with. The first step is to talk to your roommate(s), spouse, partner, or whoever you happen to be living with about your workspace and schedule. Make sure that everyone’s on the same page about where you’ll be working when noise should be kept to a minimum and the hours of the day you should not be disturbed.
- Stick to a regular schedule. At first, many people who transition to remote work struggle to start and finish work at roughly the same time each day. This is a slippery slope, however, because when we lose our routines, we can start to feel adrift, and our mental health can even deteriorate as a consequence. When we make an effort to stick to a regular schedule, our mood remains stable, and we’ll have an easier time focusing on the tasks that need to be completed.
- Take breaks. It’s crucial to give your brain ample time to recharge during the day by taking regular breaks, during which you fully unplug from your screens.
- Keep your workspace consistent and organized. It can be tricky to find a place in your home where it’s possible to work in peace every day. Nonetheless, it’s important to put in the necessary effort to set up an area that you will be able to return to and keep clean on a regular basis. If you’re constantly having to move around and rearrange your workspace, your performance at work can quickly start to be negatively affected.
- Communicate as much as possible. Clear and regular communication is key for any team that’s working remotely. In order to make sure that you’re taking on a manageable workload and sticking to the proper timelines, always be sure to communicate with your team members as much as possible. And as a side note, it’s still preferable to talk face-to-face (even if it’s virtual) than to exchange messages back and forth.
Start Searching for New and Exciting Job Opportunities In Your Area
At Tri-Starr Group, we make it easy for candidates to get connected with job opportunities that will match their unique experience, skillset, and professional interests. To learn more about our services or to start looking for job openings near you, please contact us today!