Our dependence on modern computing and communication technologies has yielded tremendous benefits for businesses across the world. It has also, however, left us vulnerable to cybersecurity breaches. As technologies continue to evolve, there are increasingly more and more opportunities for hackers to break into our networks and steal or tamper with crucial information.
It’s critical, therefore, for every organization to have a sophisticated cybersecurity strategy in place. That said, cybersecurity is still a relatively obscure topic, which can make it difficult for organizations to know where to get started with the strategy development process.
With that in mind, this article will aim to outline a few different types of cybersecurity threats, and how implementing a cybersecurity strategy can help to keep your business protected in the digital age.
Types of Cybersecurity Threats
The nature of cybersecurity threats tends to vary depending on the type of information that the hacker is after and the types of security (if any) that the intended target has in place.
Here are three big ones that you should be aware of:
- Malware. This is software that’s designed to damage, destroy, or assume control of either a network or a specific device.
- Trojans. Like the trojan horse of Greek legend, this is a type of software that’s downloaded to a device and which subsequently unleashes a malicious program that targets either a single computer or the broader network.
- Phishing. This is a tactic employed by hackers whereby malware is disguised by a seemingly harmless link, typically in an email. After receiving the message, the intended victim clicks the link, which downloads the malware that infiltrates the device or network.
Benefits of Implementing Sophisticated Cybersecurity Technology
Without a cybersecurity infrastructure in place, our networks and information are easy targets for hackers and other malicious agents. Specific benefits of cybersecurity include:
- Preventing identity theft. Unfortunately, personal information is all-too-often, a primary target in a cybersecurity breach. Adopting cybersecurity measures can help to keep sensitive and private records protected!
- Maximizing productivity in the workplace. Malware and viruses can irrevocably damage the functionality of a device or a network. When this occurs, users (i.e., your employees) can be significantly slowed in their work by impaired technology. With cybersecurity technology in place, you can help to ensure that your workplace continues to run as smoothly as possible.
- Keeping your website up and running. Business leaders and their customers depend on the stability of websites to keep business as usual up and running. Malware can infiltrate and harm your website, which can, as a result, significantly hamper communications and business with clients, customers, and partners. Thankfully, basic cybersecurity technology can help to keep our websites safe, secure, and intact.
Build Your Cybersecurity Team Today!
At Tri-Starr Group, we specialize in connecting employers with talented local candidates. If you’re ready to add top cybersecurity professionals to your team, contact us today!